Greenhouse Building Workshop! May 15 & 16!!
Posted on May 11, 2015 11:18 am by Active Citizen in Life
FREE 2-DAY GREENHOUSE BUILDING WORKSHOP
9am – 4pm, MAY 15 – 16 (fri. – sat.)
Project EATS Marcus Garvey Farm, Brooklyn
What’s it all about?
The Greenhouse is the birthplace of many plants in our farms and gardens. Over this 2-Day workshop-build, you will work and learn with Project EATS farmer and a close-knit crew of 4 to 6 participants to build the structure where the magic happens.
The greenhouse will be the first structure for the new Marcus Garvey Farm! Building the hoop-house high tunnel involves putting together the frame and securing the shell and end walls. There will be several topics covered over building sessions and lunch time.
- greenhouse structural functions,
- types of greenhouses including home-scale setups,
- greenhouse operational farming functions
What is to be gained?
- basic power drilling skills
- understanding of materials and process involved in building a hoop house
- new friends with the build-crew
- introduction to the work of Project EATS, a prolific NYC farm non-profit
- opportunities for future involvement with Project EATS farms
Other important info:
Please bring water, lunch and any sun protection you may need.
Prior experience with construction and building is not necessary.
- be able to bear up to 50 lbs. (not all day but at key points)
- feel comfortable standing on a ladder, and learning power tools
For more information or to sign up, visit: